Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Remember 9/11

So just like everyone else, today has been a day where I remember once again what I was doing on 9/11/01.  I was sitting at my desk at work when a friend called me and he asked if I had heard about a plane hitting the World Trade Center in New York.  I hadn't heard so I pulled up CNN on my computer and saw something I didn't think could look any worse.  But of course we know after the one plane hit, it did get worse.  A second plane.......The visual of that is still devestating to even think about!  So then because in my mind, this had to be an odd coincidence, I heard about the plane that hit the pentagon, then a forth plane landed in a field in Pennsylvania.  Wow, the thought hits, THIS IS NO ACCIDENT!!!  My heart just sank.  Then seeing all those people rushing out of the World Trade Center, and yet HEROS rushing in, still amazes me that there are people who give their all for others. 

That night there was an overload of prayers!!!!  The country was so close together and patriotism was everywhere.  I never noticed how many planes you hear in the sky until silence.....no planes flying.  First time I think it hit that this is really happening, here in America.  Doesn't this only happen in other countries???? I thought that so many times.  I was so far away, but prayed for all those people affected and all the first responders who didn't hesitate to go help others, and ended up losing their lives.  So sad to think of the people on the floors above texting and calling loved ones to let them know they were okay, when they had no idea that the buildings were about to collapse with them still in it.  Who would have thought the heat would be so intense.  All of the images surrounding the attacks are still hard to look at to this day.  One night on Secret Millionaire they sent a young guy to New York and one of the places he visited was a center for firemen to come visit with other firemen, seek counseling, and just be around some of their own.  One firemen said the hardest thing about thinking about that day was the fact they had to leave some of their brothers behind which is something they are taught never to do, and you could see in his face that he was still haunted by that.  One thing I thought about when I saw that was that yeah he did leave their bodies behind, but they brought them out of there in their hearts. 

So much has changed since then, one thing I wished hadn't was the compassion people had for each other.  Where did that go?  

My friend said it best on her facebook today and this is so true, she said:(I hope if she reads this she doesn't mind that I borrowed it)
Do you know that the attack made on us eleven years ago made me love my country even more than I ever did? That it strengthened my resolve even more to stand up for what I believe in? To do whatever it takes to protect and preserve those truths upon which this country was built? That it caused me to draw even nearer to a good and sovereign God, lifting my country and its leaders in prayer daily?

I loved my country before this happened, but love it even more now!!!!!

God Bless and Prayers to the lives lost on this day 11 years ago and all those they left behind!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment